KeikiCo Contest Official Rules
- The 2015 Bank for EducationSM KeikiCo Contest is a business plan writing and video pitch contest open to invited schools.
- The first 60 schools to submit the Participation Entry Form on or before August 24, 2015, will be eligible to participate in the contest.
- There is no limit on the number of teams each eligible school can enter. Each team must have a minimum of 2 students up to a maximum of 4 students. Teams will participate in the following competing divisions:
- Grades 3 – 5
- Grades 6 – 8
- Grades 9 – 12
- Each team must have a teacher, parent or adult advisor.
Each team must come up with an innovative product or service and develop a business plan and video pitch. The deadline to submit the business plan and video pitch is November 2, 2015, at 11:59 p.m. HST.
Business Plan Requirements
- Maximum of 5 pages, single sided (not including waivers)
- Double Spaced
- Font size 10
- Suggested Content: Refer to Appendix D
- File Name: Company Name, School and Division
- Signed waivers for all participants (Appendix B) and the teacher/advisor (Appendix C) must be submitted with the business plan. Missing waivers will disqualify the team’s submission.
- The teacher/advisor should email the business plan to firstname.lastname@example.org
Video Pitch Requirements
- Maximum of 2-3 minutes
- Format: MP4 (preferred), WMV, AVI, MOV or MPEG
- File Size: Must be under 100mb
- Suggested Content:
- Company Name
- What is the product or service?
- Who is the product or service for?
- Explain or demonstrate the product or service.
- What makes the product or service great or different?
- File Name: Company Name, School and Division
- The teacher/advisor should submit the video pitch through Drop Box (refer to Appendix E for instructions on video sharing). Please do not email videos directly to email@example.com.
- The video pitch must be the original work of the team. If a team uses music or visuals in its video submission, it must be original content. No copyrighted materials may be used. Any use of copyrighted materials will automatically disqualify the video pitch from judging.
- Each team along with its teacher/advisor is responsible for obtaining all applicable rights, releases, consents, clearances, licenses, and other authorizations necessary to use the submitted video in any and all media. Clearances include, but are not limited to:
- Location releases
- Releases from any person whose name, voice, likeness or persona is referenced, shown, or otherwise used in the submitted video
- If any individuals depicted are under the age of 18, participants must obtain the signature of the individual’s parent or guardian
- Names, contact information, or other personally identifiable information should not be included in the video pitch (for example, on a “credit roll”)
- Video pitches should not include any conduct, language or other context deemed inappropriate, such as profanity, obscene material, promotion of illegal activity, or derogatory characterizations of any person or group.
American Savings Bank reserves the right to disqualify any entries that are incomplete or not in accordance with the specifications given.
- First Prize: $25,000 -- Three (3) $25,000 First Place prizes will be awarded to the schools of the teams with the highest score in each competing division.
- Runner Up: $15,000 -- Three (3) $15,000 Runner Up prizes will be awarded to the schools of the teams with the second-highest score in each competing division.
Each submission will be judged based on the following criteria:
Business Plan - 60%
Innovation - 10%
Feasibility - 10%
Relevance - 10%
Potential Demand - 10%
Comprehensiveness - 20%
Video Pitch - 40%
Clarity / Completeness
Creativity / Persuasiveness
- County Prize: $10,000 - Four (4) prizes will be awarded to the schools of the teams with the highest percent participation in each county.
- This award is based on the highest percentage of participating students among schools within a designated county.
- Participation will be calculated by dividing the total number of students who participate in the KeikiCo Contest for each school by the total student population in the school’s selected division.
- Prizes will be awarded for each of the four counties: 1) Oahu, 2) Big Island, 3) Kauai, and 4) Maui (including Molokai and Lanai).
- In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by random drawing.
- People’s Choice Award: $5,000 – Three (3) People’s Choice prizes will be awarded to the schools of the teams in each division that received the highest number of votes
- Our KeikiCo panel of judges will select the top 5 business plans and video pitches in each division.
- The video pitches from these top teams will be posted on our asbhawaii.com website as well as the American Savings Bank Facebook page for the public to vote on via our texting platform.
- The award will be given to the team in each division who received the highest number of text votes, but was not selected to receive First Place or Runner Up prize money.
- No purchase, account, payment, advance of money or credit necessary to participate.
- Eligibility: Must be 13 years or older to participate in voting.
- The People’s Choice Awards Voting (“Voting”) begins November 13, 2015, at 12:00 a.m. HST, and ends November 20, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. HST (“Voting Period”).
- To participate in the voting: Text: “Elementary”, “Middle” or “HS” to 80850 to participate. A reply text will provide the five (5) teams eligible for voting in each division. To vote, respond by texting the corresponding letter.
- There is a limit of one entry per text number, per division. Multiple entries will be grounds for disqualification.
Conditions of Participation
- By participating in the KeikiCo Contest, you agree to be bound by the Official Rules.
- Each participant agrees to allow American Savings Bank to retain a copy of the business plan and video pitch, and releases American Savings Bank from any liability for loss or damage thereto. Each participant, by submitting the business plan and video pitch, also grants American Savings Bank the irrevocable and unrestricted right and permission to use, publish, broadcast, webcast, podcast, link to or from, syndicate, or otherwise exhibit or display the submitted business plan and/or video pitch in its original or an altered form or format.
- Each participant agrees to release, hold harmless, defend and indemnify American Savings Bank, and its parent, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, representatives and employees from any and all liability for injuries, illness, death, losses, damages, claims and actions of any kind resulting from or arising from or in connection with participation in this contest.
- By participating, you agree to allow American Savings Bank the right, without limitation, to contact the teachers or advisors by phone, mail or email; and to use and publish the student and/or advisor’s name, likeness, video, photograph, voice and biographical information; for any advertising, publicity, promotional or other purpose in any and all media communication as American Savings Bank may choose, throughout the world, without limitation and without any additional compensation; and to bear sole responsibility for any taxes or other liabilities and obligations resulting from the acceptance and use of your Prize.