Pay a Friend
With ASB Pay a Friend, you can send anyone money by using their mobile phone number or email address. The recipient will receive an email or text notification with payment details and will be asked to enter their debit card or bank account information to collect the money. If they use a participating debit card, the funds will be sent to their checking account immediately. If they choose to collect the money by entering in a checking account number and bank routing number, the payment will be received within 3-5 business days. No registration or login is required to receive the funds.
Introductory Offer - Try ASB Pay a Friend for Free
- FAST – It takes 30 seconds when the money is collected with a participating debit card.
- EASY – Send money from your phone, tablet or computer using your ASB debit card.
- SECURE – All you need is your friend’s mobile phone number or email address. The recipient just needs a participating debit card. Payments are processed and protected in the same manner as PIN-based point of sale debit card transactions.
Three Easy Steps to Pay a Friend
STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3
How do I use Pay a Friend?
- Log in to Online or Mobile Banking and select "Pay a Friend" under the “Transactions” menu.
- Select the recipient’s mobile phone number or email address from your phone Contacts or enter the information directly.
- Enter payment amount and verify the transaction using your debit card PIN. You may also write a memo which will be included in the text message or email.
- The recipient receives a notification with the payment details and enters his/her debit card or bank account information and accepts the recipient agreement to collect the money. No registration or login is required to receive the funds.
What do I need to access the Pay a Friend service?
To use the service, you must have a:
- An ASB Debit Card linked to a personal or business checking account with American Savings Bank.
- A valid email address for the receiver/recipient.
- ASB Online Banking Online and/or Mobile Banking access.
- The Pay a Friend Service is not available to Commercial Business Accounts.
How does the receiver collect the funds?
The recipient will receive a notification via email or text message (whichever was specified by the sender) with the payment information and a link to collect their funds. The recipient then enters his/her debit card or bank account information to get the money. The recipient has up to 10 days to retrieve the funds or the money will be credited back to your account. No registration or login is required to receive the funds.
Is there a fee to use Pay a Friend?
During this introductory period, there is no fee to use the Pay a Friend service.
When is the money available?
If the recipient chooses to collect the funds via a debit card, the funds are available to them immediately! If they choose to collect using a checking or savings account, the money will be credited to their account within 3-5 business days.
Why do I have to enter a PIN to verify my transaction?
Pay a Friend payments are processed as PIN-based debit card transactions, so you should use the PIN for your Debit Card tied to your American Savings Bank checking account.
Why does the pin pad scramble after I enter each number of my debit card pin?
The PIN pad will scramble after you enter each digit of your PIN number for your protection and as an added layer of security.
When will the money be taken from my account?
The funds will be debited from your account as soon as the recipient collects the funds. The recipient has 10 days to collect the money. If the money is not collected in 10 days, you will be notified and the funds will be credited back to your account within 1-2 business days.
How will Pay a Friend transactions appear in my statement or in my account history?
On both your statement and on your account history, the Pay a Friend transaction will appear as: American S MNYTRF XXXXXXXXXXXX. There will be a unique code for each money transfer.
What if the receiver gets a message saying that their card is not eligible to receive funds?
Is there a payment limit?
Personal accounts may send up to $2,999 per transaction, $5,000 per day, $5,000 per week, and $10,000 per month or the available balance in your checking account, whichever is less. The maximum number of transactions are 5 per day and 10 per week.
Is Pay a Friend secure?
Yes! There is no need to share your account number with anyone. Money is sent securely using just an email address or phone number. Payments are processed and protected in the same manner as PIN-based point of sale debit card transactions.
How do I cancel or resend a payment?
Who is Acculynk/Payzur?
Acculynk is the company that we’ve partnered with to bring you Pay a Friend! Their secure technology enables payments to be sent and received in just seconds from your American Savings Bank Online Banking account.